About Me

My photo
Im am a full time student at EMCC. I have this semester and then all of next year to finish my degree. When I done school I will have an Associates Degree in Early Childhood Education and I will have or be close to my Ed Tech 3. I enjoy being around my family and friends. My best friends family is very important to me and I love those kids. Im not shy, or laid back, and I am up for anything.

Friday, November 12, 2010

Week 10

It's was the summer of 2008, I was heading into my Senior year of high school in September. I was incrediably nervous. I'm from a small town were we only had 1 school. It was a K-8 school at the time I was there. Today, it's a Pre-K-8 school. Anyways, I hung out with my best friend pretty much all summer except for the days I had to work.

I remember that summer as if it was yesterday. My best friend, her family, and myself we took a trip to Peaks Island, Portland Me. I got up at 4am the morning we left, I was at their house by 5:15. My best friend was at her boyfriends house and when they got up they were headed down to meet us at the house and ready to go.

We had to take 2 vehicles because there was 8 of us all together. My best friends step-dad took his car with himself, his wife, and the two youngest boys (they were 3 and 1). In my car was myself, my best friend, her boyfriend, and her other brother (we ranged in ages of 17, 17, 18, and 12). We left the house around 6:45. We had to be at the ferry in Portland by 9am or 10:15 am.

We hit the road and was off. I can't speak for the parents vehicle because I was not in it but in my car we has a blast. My best friend and I rode up front since I was driving. The boys are in the back where they could strech out. We got to Portland, made the ferry, and enjoyed the Island. It was paradise. The water was freezing but we still went in.

We had lunc on the beach, took a drive around the Island looking at all the houses that are too exspensive for our blood. We had dinner at the rented cottage that we stayed at. We bonded as a family playing games, and telling stories/jokes. But in the end we had to leave because the next week most of uswent back to school. We left the Island the next day and headed home. :(

My best friends boyfriend is from Brewer so he attended Brewer High, she and I attended Bucksport High and her brother the 12 year old attends Orland School. So we all went in different directions. She and I walked into school together that miserable day. It was our Senior Year. I was excited and I think she was too but none of us wanted to go back to school.

It all looked the same but we could tell that something was different. I dont know how to explain that, it was just a feeling. The last three years of my high school exsistence I had this wonderful principle that cared for everybody. He was concerned about our schooling. School Wide Assemblies had games and special visitors. He made high school enjoyable but he knew when to lay down the law if or went he had to.

Today was different. Today the air seemed cold, unenterable, stiff, and prison like. Over the summer apparently the princle we all loved got a better job in the southern part of the state, so they hired a new principle. None of us that had been there the past 3 yrs like him. He was unfamiliar, not an easy person to talk to, not an approchable person. We ended up seeing some of the aspects they we had grown up used to they disappeared. We couldn't do anything, he was the principle. So we just took each day as they came and had to deal.

Did we recieve the best education we could? Yes. Did we get the proper disiline, if needed? Yes. Were we heard? Yes. Did we get what we needed out of high school? Yes. My question to you is, did the students have the right to be mad that this new principle? Were the seniors right to be upset that this new principle came in on our senior year? These are my questions to you.

1 comment:

  1. Grafs 2-5 really don't belong here, don't connect to the topic--they could go. What we don't have is a graf where students get mad at the new principal; we never quite see the problem you see, so the last graf, the opinion graf, the kernal of the whole thing, doesn't come into focus yet.

    We need the next to last graf expanded so we get a sense of what had changed and we need material on the students' reaction.

    Try a rewrite.

    ReplyDelete