About Me

My photo
Im am a full time student at EMCC. I have this semester and then all of next year to finish my degree. When I done school I will have an Associates Degree in Early Childhood Education and I will have or be close to my Ed Tech 3. I enjoy being around my family and friends. My best friends family is very important to me and I love those kids. Im not shy, or laid back, and I am up for anything.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Week 13 Theme

It started off as a typical saturday. I have to work from 2-9. Yippie, yet another night shift. Anyways, I'm driving on the interstate, headed towards work. I get into the fast lane because I dont like slow drivers. I see the off-ramp that I need to take and put my blinker on and start to merge over. Just as I get on the off-ramp a car came out of nowhere and this jerk almost hits my car. I swear and flip this person the burd, of course nobody heard or saw me.

I get to work, park the car, and head inside. After I punch in and head up front I notice that I am running the service desk and I have a cashier coming in at 4pm. Thank God, I really didn't want to run on a cash register tonight. A couple hours into my shift I have to deal with a husband/wife duo that wanted to return something. They didn't have a reciept and our policy states that in order to have return or exchange an item(s) you have to have a reciept or gift reciept. I explained that to them and they got a little mad. I told them that I could try a couple of things to find it but make no promises. In theend I couldnt find it and they yelled at me and said that they would not be shopping here ever again.

I got on register at around 6pm so that the cashier on duty could take a 15 minute break. I have customers in line and the phone starts to ring. I couldn't get to it so I radioed to the Sales Floor Supervisor and asked her to get it. She did and radioed back that it was for me. When i got a minute break, i answered it. It was my brother. We exchanged greetings but I could tell something was wrong. He told me that my sister was involved in a car accident. "What" is all I manged to say. I sort of went into panic mode. He told me he was on-route to the hospital. "What hospital is she going to" is my next question. He told me what hospital and I told him I would be there ASAP.

I paged the supervisor to dial 31. When she paged in, I explained to her what my brother told me. I told her that as soon as the cashier got back up front, I needed to leave and get to the hospital. She told me I have to wait to leave, so that I could cover her lunch break she was taking in 30 minutes. "EXCUSE ME" was my response. We dont have the coverage today and you need to stay. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I hung up the phone.

The cashier had come up and I explained to her what was happening. She understood when I told her I had to leave. Just as I turn around the supervisor was standing there. She yet again, I couldn't leave until she came back. I grabbed my keys frm the draw and took off for the front doors. She followed me right out to my car still yapping in my ear. I stated the engine and told her to move or get run over. She moved and I sped to the hospital.

Once there, I had to shut of my phone and followed the nurses directions to where my brother should be. I found him and he explained what he could. Since our parentsare not in the picture, I have parental/gaurdianship responsibilities. My brother was not 18 years old at the time and couldn't sign the forms. They did surgery under these circumstances, because they new I was on-route. Once there, I signed all the forms. My sister came out fine but is still badly bruised. Also had a broken legand arm. Even though she was fine and I was glad, I was thinking that I may not have a job come Monday....

1 comment:

  1. The story of the supervisor so locked into routine that she didn't understand a breaking situation is incredible! Makes you worry that the world is run by morons. Oh wait.....

    ReplyDelete