About Me

My photo
Im am a full time student at EMCC. I have this semester and then all of next year to finish my degree. When I done school I will have an Associates Degree in Early Childhood Education and I will have or be close to my Ed Tech 3. I enjoy being around my family and friends. My best friends family is very important to me and I love those kids. Im not shy, or laid back, and I am up for anything.

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Week 3: Travel Essay

Everything is packed and already in the truck. Parents tied down the last rope and jumped into the truck themselves. My best friend and I got into my car. The engines start and we are off. For me, I have seen this scenery everyday for the last 20 years where as my best friend doesn't get out this way much so she saw all kinds of new things.

The trees are green and full of life, there is a slight breeze, and the sun is shining. We follow my parents even thought I have been going to this same place since I was 5 years old and I have he coordinates plugged into my GPS system.

From my house to the start of the interstate it takes about 10 miles. For those miles we pass all types of business in the Holden, Me area. We also pass a local school and a few gas stations. Once we get onto the interstate it's 119.7 miles to the location. For those miles most are interstate miles which means drab, boring, excrushiating scence-less nightmares. All you see is trees and blue skies, paves roads, and vehicles. Not a whole lot of fun. I guess thats when two best friends get into trouble.

When her and I get together (especially when long trips) we roll down all the windows, blast the music, and make fun of the people that pass us or that we pass. So we talk, she sleeps, and we sing. We tried to keep ourselves entertained because it's like a 2hr-3hr drive. We are also most there and I get excited when I see the rest stop sign because that means only another 30 minutes to go. We stop there. I get out and stretch and then head inside to use the restroom. They are clean but not very kept up. Litter everywhere and smells not so nice. Back in the car 10 minutes later.

Up the road, around a corner, and off the interstate we go. We pass a up-scale country club, gas stations galore, and a grocery store plaza. We get further into Millinocket and I see the water thats on both sides of us. Then all of a sudden we hit nothing but winding roads and trees. We follow these roads for what seems like forever, when we hit the final road that leads us into Baxter State Park. Once on that road its a couple of speed bumps and then dirt roads. We see all kinds of trees and roads, then we see open areas, and a swamp. When we get to camp its nothing up wide open spaces and nature for a week with no power, no electricity, and no running water (which means outhouse)...

3 comments:

  1. I like very much the description of the drive--the reader is right there with you, only wishing to know what you do to make fun of your poor fellow travellers. But the combination of friends, precise numbers, a roadside stop, and so on work very well.

    The ending...almost works. Certainly the camp is the right place to stop (I was talking to an outastata yesterday who was buying a camp, and I made the mistake of saying the word 'camp.' He very seriously corrected me. "No, we're buying a small cottage on the lake.") But to stop with the outhouse where you do somehow does not feel right.

    How about: "and no running water (which means outhouse).... But 'outhouse,' even the smells, maybe especially the smells, mean camp, and camp means my earliest memories and means I have two weeks of being like a little girl again, with not a worry in the world. Bring on the outhouse!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. does that mean you want a re-write... it wasnt quite clear in that department?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No rewrite. I just wanted to end my comment with the kind of thing I missed. I will be much more forceful if I think a rewrite is needed--this was a piece that mostly worked, and the perfect (which I never insist on) is the enemy of the good, which this is.

    ReplyDelete