About Me

My photo
Im am a full time student at EMCC. I have this semester and then all of next year to finish my degree. When I done school I will have an Associates Degree in Early Childhood Education and I will have or be close to my Ed Tech 3. I enjoy being around my family and friends. My best friends family is very important to me and I love those kids. Im not shy, or laid back, and I am up for anything.

Monday, March 1, 2010

Week 5 Theme: Narrative a.k.a Story

It’s 4:30am on a Saturday morning and I could not sleep the night before. Why, could I not sleep? That’s an easy question: I couldn’t sleep because today is the Cheerleading State Championships at the Bangor Auditorium. Today is an exciting and sad day, as this is my last cheerleading competition as it’s my senior year.
It’s now 5:00am and I’m still not awake. I get into my car and still have my leopard print pj bottoms and white tank-top on. I put the car into drive and pull out of the driveway. I’m on my way to pick up my friend and fellow cheerleader. I get to her house and she’s still in her pj’s as well. Her mom hands us each a bag that is filled to there rims with breakfast munchies and drinks. She tells us good luck and that she will see us later that day. We get into my car and head to a cheerleaders house where we are meeting our coach to get our hair and make-up done.
It’s now 6:30am and all the girls have shown up and most of the parents. As we take turns getting our hair done, the rest of us either do our make-up or play with the two-year old that is running around. As the time is drawing near we all jump in our cars and head to the high school were we await our bus to take us to the auditorium. When we arrive at the high school the principle is there to let us in and give us all a pep speech. When he’s done with his speech he asks the four seniors to come stand with him. As we do he tells us that he is proud of the work that we have accomplished and that we should be very proud of the efforts that has brought our team this far. When he is done with that speech he hands us seniors a red rose and gives us a hug.
We arrive at the auditorium and sign in. The officials take us to a room and give us extensive instructions on what to do. We finish putting our uniforms on and fix our make-up. We put last minute touches to fix our hair and one last round of hair spray. We all file into a line and walk into the auditorium gym, where we place our bags on our designated bleacher space. We were instructed by our coach to either sit on the bleacher or go see the trainer if needed. When the announcer came over the P.A system letting us know that we can strech and start warming up our stunts, our coach gave us the thumbs up.
The competition started shortly after and all the teams got to perform. Some teams were better than others, our team did average. After the last team perform, we were instructed by one of the judges to stay in the gymnasium and the judges will be back shortly to give us the awards. All the cheerleaders in today’s competition gathered on the mats and played some cheering games. The music was blasting and we were all laughing. After a little while our coach gathered us in a hudle and gave us a speech of her own. She told us she was proud of us either way. She was also grateful to have awonderful squad and that she was going to miss us seniors. When we were hugging our coach the P.A system came on and the judge told everyone to have a seat. The awards were handed out and we unfourtently did not receive an award. We all said goodbye to our families and headed to our room to gather our stuff.
When in our room, a official came to our room and asked that all senior cheerleaders of todays competition please report to the auditorium. When we got there we were instructed to take a look around and remember what cheerleading was all about for us. Then we took a group shot and individual team shoots to put on a banner. Then we signed a blank banner that they would hang in the auditorium. We left on the bus and headed back to Bucksport. When there we were greeted by parents and the principle and was applauded. I got in my car and headed home, where I will cheerish that day forever. What a great day in the history of my senior year!

3 comments:

  1. This is very clearly told, very detailed, but the chances to turn it into a story are never taken. What was your not-winning routine like?--I think that's the key moment when this might have turned into a story. Were there problems, mistakes, one person hungover, a distraction?

    Or the story might have been about everyone's reaction to not placing or even about a problem with hair and makeup. But as this stands, it's about a day without ever having a story in it.

    Does that make sense to you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah it does. So does this mean I get a bad grade?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't individually grade papers in 162. YOur grade is simply based on doing all or most of the work (check the syllabus) so if I don't ask for a rewrite, you can consider that it's been accepted for full credit.

    ReplyDelete